Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

9.03.2007

A lost day. And more questions.

I lost yesterday to 怀吃, but so far today we're back in the saddle. Literally: I'm about to call my friend's father to borrow his bicycle.

I didn't let my 'pulled stomach' (those of you who are Chinese-English bilingual now know what was wrong) stop my library meeting though. It was a good one, and wow--Nanjing has a big beautiful new library. As far as contemporary buildings go, I'd say it's at least as good as Vancouver's, and I think I prefer it to Harold Washington in Chicago -- although its upper floors are still empty and unused. I think you can't really judge a library building until you use it, so I guess I'll just have to return to Nanjing after the move is complete.

Thanks for all the comments the past couple days. I passed through the English ones, but am holding onto the Chinese ones for translation. The recent festival in Lanzhou was 中元节。 The closest I can translate that is the 'First Middle Holiday' or the 'Middle Yuan Dynasty Festival'. Not sure which. And for the family: what's a DS?

On the language front: I successfully bought a train ticket today with only a little English help from the clerk. However, it did take 2 people. The person in the middle translated from Putonghua to Nanjinghua (well, from Chinglish to Nanjinghua anyway). The further south I go, the softer the zh's get, and the R's are almost non-existent. No more 这儿. Only 这里.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    中元节 if you have to know, that is

    Hungry Ghost Festival
    The 14th and 15th of the seventh lunar month

    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/language_tips/2005-08/18/content_529333.htm

    中元节 is the name by Chinese Taoists. Chinese Buddist has another name for it. But they are both for the same purpose at the same day.

    The 14th, 15th of the first month is 上元。of the seventh month is 中元,of the 10th month is 下元。all for taoists.

    Hui

     
  • At 1:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I lost yesterday to 怀吃.

    是“吃坏了”,不是“怀吃”。

    “拉肚子”是说肚子不好,吃坏了,所以频繁要去厕所“大便”(defecate stool relieve nature stool 。)

    例句

    I have loose stomach.
    我拉肚子。

    I have loose bowels.
    我拉肚子(腹泻)。

    Shortly after we crossed the Huaihe River, many of them suffered from diarrhoea.
    果然一过淮河,好多人拉肚子。

    I have diarrhea. I wonder if I ate something bad yesterday.
    我拉肚子,我怀疑是否昨天吃了不新鲜的东西。

    I still have the runs. I do not think I shall eat anything today.
    我还在拉肚子,今天不要吃东西比较好吧。

    Tao

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home