Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

3.25.2009

Just read: "Citizen of the Galaxy"

While gardening and woodshopping this week, I've been listening to an audio book version of Citizen of the Galaxy, a 50-year-old science fiction novel. For some reason I got totally sucked into the first part of the story--to the point that I just had to sit down and listen for a while on Sunday. It went downhill a bit, but it was still an awfully good read.

What makes the book blogworthy though is that I picked it at random at the public library without knowing who Robert Heinlein was, or that he was writing 50 years ago. While listening, I did think that the book was mis-categorized YA fiction (or that maybe EPL doesn't segregate its audiobooks by adult versus kids). It never occurred to me, until the narrator said it at the end, that the book might have been written in 1957. I think this is the second or third time this has happened to me in recent years.

So while we're on the topic: everybody go re-read Snowcrash. And for those of you who have never read it, resist reading the copyright date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home