Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

1.15.2006

Security in libraries?

So you really can get canned from a library! It seems that "gross mismanagement" is the winning offense.

I wonder if I would take heat if it turns out that Mr. Smiley has visited my library in the past year? I really doubt it. First of all, I don't have nearly the historic holdings of a Yale. The guy walked about with a half-million dollars worth of maps in a briefcase. You'd need a cargo van to get that much value out of my collection.

Still, I've whined to...er, alerted my superiors about lax circulation procedures, no inventory, and poor oversight in our reading room. Mostly the response has been: 'Well, let's do the best we can.' The $36,000 question remains: is 'the best we can' good enough to keep heads from rolling?

2 Comments:

  • At 2:16 PM , Blogger Jon said...

    There was a long story in the New Yorker about this case a couple of months ago, and I thought of you. See here.

     
  • At 11:31 AM , Blogger Lisa S. said...

    Have you read Miles Harvey's The Island of Lost Maps? This is a total copycat crime. What a hack. grin.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home