Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

3.27.2006

The first mow

Last week I finally got fed up with weeding the lawn by hand and just took the mower to it. It looks great all freshly shorn. I left a patch that has some daffodils growing out of it. I'm only a little surprised at how many bulbs were not uncovered by all the digging and rototilling.

I don't mind the daffodils and croci. There's even a couple tulips. But the bluebells are monsters! I can't believe people actually plant these things. They always threatened to take over the back yard, and post-remodel, they continue to do so. They have even been punching through the landscaping clothe in a few places. Moreover, where there are bunches of them, the make this little mound under the clothe, like a bluebell pimple.

Before leaving town (I'm in Tucson again) we got our first tulip. Shanghai seems to be in line with us on the tulip issue. The camellia are in full force (even shedding a bit). The daffodils are almost finished (but hanging in there for what seems like a very long bloom this year: I think it's been a little cooler than usual). And there are a few forget-me-nots beginning to show color. The peonies have broken through the ground, and I suspect that pretty soon all the tulips will start to catch up with my early fringed yellow friend outside the bedroom window.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home