Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

7.16.2006

Rose petals

Wow, they really do strew rose petals in the path of a princess.

A very nice event, if a little anti-climactic. The folks in the library just studying were mostly nonplussed. The actual dedication ceremony was not overblown or overly long. Actually, it was blessedly short. There was an excellent turnout of staff: I'd say fully half of the chairs were filled by people who work there. Others looked like community folks who were curious (or who had curious children). I did notice that one of my regular internet surfers was there, and slightly better dressed than usual. I guess he got the memo.

At the end, while we were looking at the books, L asked if it would be bad form to drink the princess' orange juice or water, which looked untouched. I said definitely yes, but then 2 minutes later someone picked up the OJ and guzzled it down.

If there's ever any Polish dignitaries in the library, I would hope that someone would come to me (or better yet, the Slavic bibliographer, who's a native) and ask for a little coaching on pronouncing names. I presume that if we still had a SE Asian librarian she would have been asked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home