Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

8.13.2006

On the zine scene

Well, what an epic weekend in Portland. I think it finally feels like summer.

First I got stomped at the PacNW USTA championships. That wasn't very pleasant, but I didn't play all that badly. Next was a pleasant chat on the Park Blocks, followed by a Cuban dinner at Pambiche. I had the oxtail, since L doesn't care for it, which leaves me no opportunities to make oxtail-barley soup. We noticed that lengue on the menu was described as 'roasted and sliced pork.' First of all, I've never seen pork tongue on a menu (but a companion who's spent time in Puerto Rico says it's common--I guess my people save it for sausages and prefer the beef tongue as a main dish), but second: isn't it a little nasty for the menu not to come right our and say what cut of meat it really is?

Or maybe it's no different from not advertising the exact ingredients of the kaszinka I made Kelly taste a couple weeks ago in Boston.

Today we visited St. John's, where the sis'-in-law will be moving in just a few weeks. Breakfast was really tasty, and we got to catch people coming off of the Portland Bridge Ride. St. John's turns out to be a side of PDX I've never seen before, and reminded me a lot of West Seattle about 10 years ago.

The culmination of the weekend was the Portland Zine Symposium. Awesome! L picked up (and met) the originator of Murder Can Be Fun, and even caught one of the original SITOites at a table. She got all excited about an upcoming Gridcosm DVD. Gosh, I wish I had kept more active with those folks. Little fits and starts was all I every accomplished.

For me, meeting one-half of the duo behind A Softer World may have been the highlight. No--I take that back, the highlight was hearing the panelists of the "How to Research-base your Zine" workshop singing the praises of reference librarians. I love getting gushed over.

We ended our Portland day with happy hour sushi and a trip to Uwijimaya for sushi supplies. Yum!

ok, battery dying. good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home