Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

6.01.2004

Da Weekend

In the spirit of libboy, who I don't visit often enough. Here is a short account of the long weekend.

An old friend of L's visited, and it was a true pleasure to get to know him better. And truth be told, she has already mentioned that she got to know him a lot better this weekend as well.

We took 2 hikes that I can't believe we haven't yet taken. Yes honey, my calves really are sore today: they may not have been at the breakfast table, but they are now. Yesterday's, Silver Falls, was a great hike, and for the first time in memory, we got to walk BEHIND a waterfall. L says I've done it before, but I don't remember--I don't think I've been to Multnomah Falls. Anyway: we got to do it twice yesterday. 10 falls in 7 miles--that's a good rate of return for a relatively flat hike. We took the new live-in volunteer from Bosco House along with us. She admitted in the car on the way up that this is as far north as she's ever been (Texas native that she is). I think she was pretty amazed by the landscape.

Sunday's walk was up above Oak Ridge in the Cascades. It may have been a view hike, but there were scattered clouds--so we're not quite sure if that was one of the Sisters or not, and while the book said Mt. Batchelor was there somewhere, I can't confirm it. What I can confirm is that the meadow wildflowers were out in force. I don't know if we've ever had wildflowers like this before, or if L's newfound addiction to gardening is just making me more aware of the flora around me.

It's tres cool that she is enjoying it so much. I feel very connected to her while we are tending to our plants. I felt less connected to her at Helles Belles Saturday night. Don't get me wrong: I had a great time, but why did I never listen to AC/DC as an adolescent? Why am I 34 and only now going to shows that rock so hard that women feel compelled to bare their breasts?

I feel like I missed out on something in my yoot. Yood? You'd?

Nevermind.

Discussions with our houseguest strengthened my self-reflection about my rapidly coming to an end class. I am processing how it's gone and what I might do differently next time. I'm considering sending a lengthy report up the chain of command here. L has already suggested that I should re-purpose the course content into an article. There's a lot of material there, and some things could have been done differently (intellectually--not just logistically). So, expect more on this topic in the coming weeks.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home