Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

12.29.2004

Christmas angling

Would have written sooner, but the wi-fi at home has been acting up.

Returned Monday night from a great weekend up in the mountains. We stayed right on the side of the Metolius, and thanks to the local shop, which stepped in with a forgotten piece of equipment, was able to drown a couple flies and catch a couple shrubs.

Once again, the concept of flyfishing proved itself. About an hour into my second outing, little flies started to drift by me and for the first time ever, I noted surface action--right where I was hoping it would be. One fish took my fly twice (stupid, stupid fish), but I failed to set the hook (stupid, stupid fisherman). A much larger fish about fifty feet upriver didn't seem interested. But I did see it as it rolled over taking real insects--I'm pretty sure it was a rainbow (or a redband, as it appears we're supposed to be calling the wild ones now).

The local hatchery showed an up-close view of what I've been failing to catch elsewhere. The Metolius itself has been managed as a wild fishery since 1995. Local hotel schwag still seems to think there are hatchery fish and haven't caught on to the strict catch-and-release regs that are in place. L finally had to ask the people at the store, who confirmed the wild-fish-only state of the river.

We also got to hike up to some snow on Christmas day. It was truly a peaceful and restful weekend. And now I'm fully back to the grind.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home