Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

7.07.2005

Random library surfing

One of the nice things about coming back from a conference is that I'm typically pretty motivated to read. So I did a little catching up with what other folks' ALA experiences were like and came across a couple interesting articles, both via librarian.net.

The first is a nice Utne article about trends in libraries. It's a great summary of contemporary issues, written without too many scare tactics. Best of all, the author (a librarian) never sits on the pity pot. I got way too much of that from librarians at ALA. This article covers a LOT of ground: outsourcing of selection, lowest common denominator cataloging, obscure subject headings, . Hand on for a good ride.

Shifted librarian has a report from this conference. Her points are well taken, although her wishes for her own child's to be assessed by a application of knowledge acquired seems a bit pollyanish: isn't it what we all wish for and something that we acknowledge we'll never receive? What I learned in school that I actually use day-to-day is negligable. What I got tested on even moreso. But maybe that's just preparation for the real world: at work I'd love to be assessed for what I accomplish, but really it's how well I can fill out an evaluation and avoid conflict with those who I need stuff from.

That last sentence probably sounds really crass doesn't it? That is probably a reflection that today I found a lot more problems than I solved. (By a ratio of at least 5:1. The only real accomplishment was in reference: a reader asked how he could make a donation after I helped him find some maps.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home