Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

5.09.2006

Banner Chicago day

I took my time trekking to the airport yesterday afternoon, rather than accepting a ride to O’Hare from my parents. I took advantage of the comfortable seats on Metra to finish up a paper. I viewed some nice video installations and a show of Estonian horror movie still recreations (think Cindy Sherman in Eastern Europe), and then a string quartet and some more art at the Cultural Center. Kramer saved me from having to read the wall cards at a sculpture show there. Really nice pieces.

Walking through the Thompson Center (nee State of Illinois Building), it struck me that the pink is almost exactly that of my library’s walls. Very mid-80s Miami Vice. Remember when Helmut Jahn was cool?

The El took me to Wicker Park, where I took my 3rd wi-fi measurement of the trip. Crazy results. Far outside of what I would have expected. A beer at the Lincoln Tavern, a stop at Quimby’s for reading material, and lunch at the Silver Cloud (not exactly what I had in mind, but I was in a lunch-to-dinner transition zone. I should have gone to Feast, but I ate there last time I was in Chicago) rounded out my Chicago adventure. Wish I had had an extra hour.

Oh, and I hit a culinary home run: White Castle, kiszka, Ricobene's, and gyros. I thought it was only going to be a triple, but Sunday brunch at a Greek place brought me around to home plate. Thank God for the agioplasty stand at O'Hare.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:47 PM , Blogger Jon said...

    Heh. Sounds good. Got your message. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend.

     
  • At 4:52 PM , Blogger Deepfry said...

    oooh....sounds WONDERFUL! i'm so jealous!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home