Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

8.26.2006

Harvest-fest

We've started preparation for a fancy dinner tomorrow. The rabbit is spread-eagled on the counter, dusted with salt, pepper and thyme. A bit of oil too, for browning. Tomatillos are on the grill. The yard is looking sharp.

Tomatoes and peaches are on their way. Pork will sit overnight in orange marmelade.

I think the menu is finalized at:


  • Roasted onion soup with corn and coconut.
    a clear base with chilis and tomatoes

  • Rabbit tamales.
    4-H rabbits hugged to death with tomatillo salsa and queso fresco.

  • Chili-orange pork brochettes.
    skewers of marinated pork, squash and poblanos, served with fresh tortillas, plantains, sweet potatoes, and crema

  • Slaw.

  • Poached peaches and strawberries.


We're still debating the dessert, but I think you get the picture.

I harvested our one stalk of volunteer corn. Folks are right: there were a few kernels, but nothing that I would call an ear. We continue to drown in squash. Both basils are kicking in to high gear. I imagine there will be two more good batches of pesto (we've had one already). We spent a pleasant evening earlier in the week tieing back rasberry and tomato vines, a task that was long overdue.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:39 PM , Blogger Heather W. said...

    I've heard in England (or was it France) the butchers leave the ears on rabbits so you'll be certain you're not buying cat.

    We'll be off to Vietnam in a few days where both dogs and cats are served up. I'm hoping to avoid witnessing anything related to this practice. I may be eating completely vegetarian there. I'm for culture and all, but I have to draw the line there.

    How was the rabbit, by the way?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home