Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

6.29.2007

Eating accidents.

Against my wishes, last night I had pizza made by a Norwegian New Yorker. It was only supposed to be a group of 5 or 6, but it turned into 15. I've noticed that we like to travel in packs. It makes us more than a bit conspicuous. I'm not sure why people are already craving western food: it's been less than a week. But I think that for many, this is their first time away. But revenge is mine: most everyone who drank soda (with ice) was feeling ill today. That's why I stick to the 啤酒 (beer).

And my rant about craving western things is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, because I was happy to order a $6 Guiness. The leader of the pack refused to re-do her long division when I told her I had a 40RMB beer, so my share of the bill was 30RMB. Thanks for subsidizing my beverage everyone!

Strange things:
  • I had my first experience in a restaurant with no pictures in the menu. As I wasn't particularly hungry, I ordered only one dish (the 服员 [fuyuan, or 'service person'] really don't like it when you do that). It turned out to be a plate of mushrooms and chili peppers. Spicy, not something I would usually order, but tasty nonetheless.
  • Yes, the baby that hangs out by the watermelon stand does poop right in the alley.
  • Tonight my classmate asked for the check and the 服员 brought us two pieces of carbon paper.
OK, must run. Have a great one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home