Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

7.14.2007

Conversation

Isn't all this talk of food better than talk of being sick?

Yesterday was our group outing to the Great Wall. Some of the classmates raced up and were covered with sweat. I knew it was going to be a long day, so I played lazy and took the tram up and walked down. One of the staff walked with me and we talked about my progress. I see her almost every day, and she has been very encouraging, saying that my improvement is constant.

Somehow we managed to have this conversation:

吴老师: How come you took the tram? Now you can't say that you climbed the Great Wall.

Me: Sure I can, I climbed down the Wall.

吴老师: Ha ha.

Me: I'm too old to race. Besides, look at how wet you are.

吴老师: You are right, plus climbing mountains is not good for your knees. My knees are a little sore. Are you ready to go down?

Me: Yes.

吴老师: Let's walk together. Why do you study Chinese.

(I explain my full-time work, half-time student life in Chinglish and we talk about my project. Halfway down we stopped for a break.)

Me: Last night I got cramp in my leg and I can still feel it. And now my legs are shaky. I do not think I am eating enough fruit. But I will buy bananas today for the potassium.

吴老师: I do not like bananas. Most Chinese do not like bananas, You should eat peaches! They are very good right now.

Me: But you warned us about eating thin skinned fruit. Besides, I see bananas everywhere. How can you say that Chinese do not like bananas?

吴老师: You are right, there are a lot of chemicals. Buy a knife and peel them.

Me: That will be safe? OK, I will try the peaches. They look very good.

OK, I have to admit that I don't know the word for potassium. Or knife. Or cramp. Or thin skinned. So there was some vocabulary to learn during the conversation. But you have to admit that's not bad, right?

Great Wall


The interweb has been down in the compound the last couple days. I'm in a coffee shop doing this, and a: need to study. b: need to conserve battery. So I'll sign off for now and work on the vocabulary.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:02 AM , Blogger Heather W. said...

    Okay, Mr. Maps, what section of the wall was this? Looks misty, was the weather any cooler up there?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home