Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

8.16.2009

What's next?

The public diary seems to have moved over to Facebook, but that doesn't mean that the blog is dead. Although my mother continues to complain that it does not get updated enough.

I resisted blogging our remodel this summer for fear that writing anything negative would fuel the fire (or at least make me worry) if there was any conflict with the contractors. Now that that's (almost) over, I am gestating a 'ten things you should know before hiring a contractor' posting. Don't hold your breath though.

There's also the next steps now that the degree is complete. The everyday stress of working at an under-funded university makes having some sort of side-project almost mandatory. I'm realizing that if I stay, I need either an extremely active personal life or an extremely engaging personal research agenda that I can drive forward with a minimum of logistical support and funding. From my understanding of our internal procedures, securing outside funding might create more problems than it solves. So off we go to China, just as internal GIS projects are taking off.

Speaking of GIS, Friday afternoon I spent about 3 hours doing something that I should have done several months ago. And it's going to bite me, because now I have to go ask for gaps in a dataset to be filled in. But the process will result in a great new set of imagery for campus users--now I just have to figure out how to give people access to it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home