Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

6.08.2004

Another el interface

Daaang Rich...this is a good find. I'm supposed to be grading papers, but instead I'm checking out musings on Bridgeport pizza and breaded steaks. Chicago, I miss you.

When I was in 4th or 5th grade, my ma went back to work. She taught home ec, cooking, and sewing at one of the last parish based high schools in the city--St. Mary of Perpetual Help. Occasionally, I would get taken along for a day when my school had a holiday that she didn't. The big thrill (actually, there were a lot of big thrills to this--I mean, come on: it was a HIGH SCHOOL and I was a little kid) was that I would get to walk to a little take-out place to get a breaded steak sandwich, which we would split for lunch. Man, it was exciting to walk around Bridgeport by myself as a 10 year old. Granted--it was only a block or two, but this was a very different type of neighborhood than I grew up in. And in retrospect, a lot like the neighborhoods I prefer now.

Now what was the name of that store? It would have been on maybe the corner of 32nd and May? Racine?

Ok, I must grade those papers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home