Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

8.16.2004

Is Google better than the catalog?

Huh.

So I'm looking up journal articles. I've got the references--I'm just trying to get the text. So I start with the catalog.

No luck.

So I try FindText (our SFX server). Academic Search Premier has full text of the article, but only starting in 2003.

I'm looking for 2002.

So I Google the author--maybe she archived it herself.

I find her library, but no personal web page.

I add the first couple words of the title to the Google Search.

The first entry is a link to PubMedCentral, which has html and pdf full text of the article.

Would someone please tell me why I should keep using the library catalog to see if we have access to the full text of a given title?

PLEASE NOTE: this is an extremely geeky post which will be of no interest to anyone that doesn't work in technical services. I apologize in advance to my other 3 readers.

BTW: I'll post that banana bread recipe as soon as I get copyright clearance from the cookbook

1 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It is Emily - I completely agree with your comment about the catalog. I never rely on our catalog to find out whether or not we have something in full-text. I don't think we link to anything on PubMed Central but we should.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home