Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

8.30.2004

Philly wrap-up

I'm sick again! Poop. I'm not sure if it was the all nighter getting here (I got stuck in Cincinnati and got to take a nice 2 hour nap at a Holiday Inn) or 2 late nights with Rene, but my respiratory infection is back with a vengeance. Even after laying low for the weekend and starting a second course of antibiotics, I'm still coughing up bits of lung.

Anyway, the Open Access train at ACS got a little tiring after a while, but overall the conference was good. I didn't learn too much chemistry, but I did get a chance to meet some folks. Shout outs to Leah from Cornell (with a great analysis of journal usage based on IP stats), Patricia from PLU (for now) for leading me around, and Michael Leach from Harvard--possibly the next ASIS(&T) president.

I did catch up with Rene. It was good of him to take time from his busy dissertating schedule to hang out with me. He patiently explained the beer thing to me: turns out that there are very limited venues for purchasing six packs, and even then the markup is phenomenal. State liquor stores only sell full cases. Hence the expensive tavern bills. I never knew the Quakers were temperance folk. Maybe it was the Pennsylvania Dutch.

I also got a chance to hang with Brian and Stacy (who really is the first person I knew with a blog. I got to crash a dinner party they were having, which was fun. It gave me a chance to get away from the conference hubbub. (hub bub?) Their place is great, and it let me see a neighborhood of Philly that I wouldn't have gotten down to.

The Mutter Museum was worth the visit. The wax casts of skin diseases and skeletons were fine. But the fetusses (feti?) made me a little nauseous. Maybe that was just the cold coming back? Anyway, I never considered myself a squeamish person, but lately I've been having my doubts. Maybe I'm just getting soft.

The PMA was better than I remembered. Duchamp still rocks the house. But there was also a lot more cubist stuff than I remember.

It just sucks that I got sick again.

Oh--one more thing. And I've got to put this on my list: Don't try and save the state money by taking Greyhound to catch your plane. Greyhound sucks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home