Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

7.26.2005

Paper paper everywhere

I have been totally enmeshed in the paper side of my library during the past couple weeks. The deeper I dig, the more piles I find.

I'm supposed to be the GIS librarian too. If this keeps up, I'm going to need a GPS just to find my way out of the piles of work that I've been creating. I'm getting some good backup, but it's still frustrating to know that I'm cleaning up problems created by a move that happened five years and at least three librarians ago. Today's discoveries: plain old monographs stuck in the atlas collection.

Anyway, I don't mean to whine. We got a ton of work done today and the atlas collection is looking great. I was able to make note of a few holes that I'd like to fill.

Speaking of filling holes: At ALA the AGS Librarian at UWM made this suggestion for collection development: collect intensely for a given geographic area on an annual cycle. She suggested by continent, so that once every 6 or 7 years you are taking a good close look (and spending money on) a given regions resources. I think that might be how I wind up filling my holes: taking them one year at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home