Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

7.30.2007

Don't be too cocky.

Because it will come back to get you. Today at lunch I tried to order the spicy pork noodles, which had a spice option of 1-4. So I tried to go for two. In China, the waitresses always repeat your order back to you once you finish. And many times you have to pay in advance.

So it was: Pork noodles. Number 2. Number 2 pork noodles. (Pointing. Spicy #2. Hot flavor #2. [Desperately trying to remember the word for chili pepper]. The order was repeated back. The bill came, and it seemed a little high, but I did get the chocolate shake. Then lunch came. Then it came again.

So that was 2 orders of #2 spicy pork noodle.

My mistake, my money. They kindly gave it to me to go, giggling the whole time.

Played tennis last night for the first time. Spoke to someone at the National Library today to try and arrange 3 more visits. And trying hard to get organized for Xi'an immediately after school ends. The lack of consistent internet at the compound is making this a lot harder.

Plus I'd really like to find some expectorant, as I feel like I'm working on a little chest cold. The Chinese multi-purpose store only has Chinese medicine and vitamins. The supposedly Western drug store only has beauty products, tooth stuff, vitamins, and many, many, many different brands of condoms. What's a guy gotta do to get some cough syrup in this country?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home