Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

7.20.2007

There will be dancing in the parks

I’ve noticed this from a distance in Beijing a few times, but last night was my first close up. It seems to happen on weekend nights, and sure enough, in the park across the street from my hotel there is currently a little dance party going on. It’s mostly old folks, but there is a mix of people. When I walked up there was tango to Middle Eastern music, but then it turned into standard Chinese pop.

Also in the park last night were 2 soccer games, Chinese hacky sack (a weighted bundle of feathers), some badminton, and a few folks doing calisthetics.

China definitely is still a culture that likes to spend time in public spaces. And it’s gratifying to see that they continue to be built. One of the times I saw the dancing was in the front plaza of a new office building. I very much like this because everyone looks like they are very much having fun.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I do the happy dance quite often!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home