Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

7.27.2007

Updates

Not too much spare time this week. It seems like any day an outing is planned we get a slight change in the way a class is taught that causes several extra hours of study. Or if I designate a 'let's catch up on the blog' afternoon, the Internet is down. There was even debate whether we would pay the compound for our second month of service. Even when it's up, it's slow.

So this morning I packed up the laptop and headed over to Wudaokou. I've heard that Lush has good breakfast, so I decided to check it out. It's no great shakes. Although the wi-fi is free. I think I prefer Kava, which is around the corner a few steps. Lush is so oriented to foreigners that there isn't even Chinese on the menu. At the moment, only 1 of the 12 tables is occupied by someone speaking a language other than English. And I think that they are Japanese. And some guy just walked in wearing a big cowboy hat. I was here earlier in the week I tagged along with some classmates to 'quiz night.' That's right: pub quiz night in China. Exactly the same. Same format. Same questions. A little more advertising for drink specials.

Well, the wi-fi is free.

Last night was a designated night of rest. Two classmates, including one who has committed to using Chinese 24/7 (there's sort of a contest going on) and I had Korean barbecue close to the compound. It was really good. We had a little futomaki for vegetables to go along with the plate full of mutton. Yum bo. I've only had Korean bbq once in the States, so I don't have much to compare it to, but one difference between the two restaurants: in Chicago you had to tend to your own meat. Here the fuwuyuan grills it for you and puts it onto your plate as it's done.

It was good to eat with the 24/7 student as I did my best to communicate with him using my limited vocabulary. It was pretty exciting when I was able to give him a word or two that he didn't know. Mostly though it was information transfer from him to me.

Later on two of us went to the HouHai bar district, which surrounds the narrow part of one of Beijing's artificial lakes. There were a lot more people walking around than there were actually inside many of the bars. Maybe it doesn't get hopping until later at night (we left at midnight). There was also a massive difference in price between beer being sold by stands versus the bar prices. $.50 for a big bottle from the convenience store. $2 for a small bottle from the bar. I had completely forgotten the term "Traveller."

On a personal note, school has its ups and downs. One day I know all the words on a dictation, the next day I'll be stumped when the teacher asks us to write out a text using only the English version for a guide. In 5 minutes. Most days include 4 (or 6 or 8) hours of additional study. I'm learning, but I'm not sure if I'm using it enough because I'm spending all my time learing. Meetings with the tutor help a lot. So much so that I've asked to spend some time with her tomorrow: partly out of appreciation, and partly out of a desire for more practice. I think we'll make it an art day.

I've attempted the video three times now without success. I'm not sure if it's going to work out.

It's getting a little crowded here, so I'm going to switch to one of the 'all you can drink' places for study and more blogging. Keep reading, and feel free to send email as well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home