Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

9.24.2007

Back in the saddle.

So the biggest adjustment to being back in the States after a week? It seems empty. Where are all the people? Maybe it's just because we live in a small town, but spaces here seem very uncrowded.

I don't have much detail to add about the final days in Beijing. I think the photos really tell the story well. Visiting with Zhang Li, Ben, and Ryan was fun, and my last night was like a microcosm of my whole trip: wandering through a park, having a snack, sneaking photos of other people taking photos, and witnessing a wacky public gathering (a Japanese culture parade?!?).

So here's a link to the last album:

Last week in Beijing


On the language front, I've really got to start doing some self-study here. Last Friday I found myself slowing down as three recently arrived Chinese-speaking students walked behind me. The sound of a tonal language sounded crystal clear to me as they described how boring Eugene is. I wanted to turn around and say "但是你们只在这儿三个天!" (But you have only been here 3 days!)

Can you say that?

3 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    但是,你们才到这里三天。

    not 三个天。

    When I was in Chicago's Uptown, I knew a white lady who had been in China for more than 2 years and spoke good Chinese. What she liked to do was going to the park, sitting not far from some Chinese folks and listening to what they were chatting. These Chinese folks usually assumed that she couldn't understand them. She said sometimes these Chinese would talk about her and refer her as 老外,or a few times 大鼻子. She said she prefer 老外 rather than 大鼻子. Once a while, she would surprise them by talking to them later one in Chinese.

    Hui

     
  • At 9:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jon...this is something that I can read the comment from Hui. The lady's experience is like me and the Polish...when the pastor askd the nun how old I was because I was so tall,,,7th grade. Bib mouth me told him in Polish that I was just 13 like the other kids in the room. I was also probably a head taller than him. Language is fun. Kochana Matka

     
  • At 5:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ...please where can I buy a unicorn?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home