Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

12.15.2009

OH, Canada!

Just returned from a couple days at Whistler, and finished up a wander-around downtown Vancouver. My Vancouver companion agrees that two days of riding/skiing in a row is idea, and the second day sees a huge improvement in skill and comfort.

The resort itself was lovely, and our party included a lovely couple, one half of which is contemplating a move to Vancouver. The couple is affectionately known as the cocoon, as when they colocate in the same city, they tend to lay low and enjoy each other's company. It was the first ski for both of them, and they said they loved it. Dinner was excellent, even if the service was a bit slow. I couldn't tell you the last time I was in a restaurant where the owner's cookbook was on sale at the front desk (and yes, he does look just like his jacket photo). We were definitely lingering, but the wacky Quebecois waiter definitely forgot to put in our wine order. But he did regale us with a tale of a poutine made with fois gras. JBM had a carpaccio plate that he said was excellent (I totally should have tried it--but I was attempting to be careful with my 'delicate' stomach). I had squash tortellini with prawns, and it was EXCELLENT. Well worth the wait.

The cocoon stayed only one night, leaving JBM and I for a second day on the slopes and a second evening out in the village.

I don't do it nearly often enough, and likely will never be proficient. But it sure is a ton of fun.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:26 PM , Blogger Heather W. said...

    I feel the same way about scuba diving. The 2nd day of a trip I'm much more confident. I should have tried downhill skiing while in a winter wonderland, but there were only so many weekends and the cold seems somehow colder than it used to.

    Hope you have a merry Christmas!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home