Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

9.26.2005

Vancouver highlights and the first day of school

Yes, it was a lovely time.

On the way up I actually got to attend a recruiting event for the ol' alma mater. It was nice looking at all those eager potential librarians. The pitch that gets offered up was pretty tight, so I didn't ask or offer to add much.

Our hosts for the evening made us a lovely Belgian beef stew. I believe it was called carbonnade. They are the proud new parents of a pair of dingos, so much of the evening involved cooing over the bouncing bundles of joy. I'm not saying this is a bad things: I love the dingos as much as the next guy. And I'll tell you that it did not diminish the quality of the discussion at all: our friends are still perfectly able to impress with their conversational skills.

Thursday morning we crossed the border--with only ONE CAR in front of us!!! I couldn't believe it. I've never experienced such a brief wait. Then it was a quick stop in a commercial district on 41st near West Boulevard. There was a camera store there that showed a lot of potential, though we didn't go in. Are all the used camera bodies making their way to Canada? Then it was off to the UBC Map Library. The librarian was a perfect host, although I was a little surprised to hear that he's not making any effort to collect data or offer GIS services. He did comment that the library there has always acted rather independently of the rest of campus--thus there wasn't any academic department or research area where he concentrated.

I nearly missed picking up my friend. For whatever reason, I didn't print the message that said where and when I'd meet him. I had it an hour off and the wrong building. Fortunately I left a note on his door about 30 seconds before he got back to his office--he raced after me and caught us outside. Then it was off for drinks, a lovely lebanese dinner, and a gelato (one scoop each of hazelnut and Baileys. L had poppyseed pineapple and pomegranite sorbetto). Friday was a casual day of art, shopping, the SeaBus, and a lovely kabob. Sushi for dinner, a party at an academic's house in the West End, and one beer too many at a neighborhood pub.

Saturday morning we slunk out of the house trying not to wake our hosts. We grabbed pannekoeken on our way to the Sequim fiasco I described below.

Today, a new era of insanity began in my job: being a student. Actually, it wasn't that bad, but I fear I'm not going to be able to keep up. I left my notes on campus: I had some sort of insightful and witty comments to make, but those will just have to wait.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:57 PM , Blogger Jon said...

    Good luck with becoming-student-again.

    BTW, I was thinking in part about you while writing this post. A sort of belated half-answer to your question about subalternity...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home