Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

4.07.2010

Settling in, but moving on.

Big happenings here in the American Riviera. After one week on the job, folks are hollering for an update after yesterday's big Facebook and Twitter announcement that L and I will be heading back to China come late August.

Yesterday afternoon I asked L for a Skype date to discuss my UC benefit package. She replied by saying 'maybe we should Skype right now to check out the envelope from the Fulbright people that just came through the mail slot.'

Sadly, the webcam was at the apartment so I had to settle for hearing the good news on the phone. So here's the plan:


  1. There are some administrative details to clear, but the letter was definitely one of congratulations.

  2. Late August we head to Beijing for orientation,

  3. Then head to wherever they tell us to. We expressed a preference for Shanghai

  4. I teach library school, in English, for the fall term, which runs through Chinese New Year. I don't know exactly what I'll be teaching, but I sent them 3 sample syllabi. Alternately (and again it's really up to the Chinese) I put on a series of public lectures and 'participate in the daily life of the department.'

  5. 20% of my time is supposed to be set aside for research. The project I described in my paper was to combine information science user studies with geographic methods to study how mobile communication technologies (read: smart phones) are affecting how people interact with the city. I have a model to follow, which I've thought about running in 3 different and distinct ways. It should generate quite a bit of data for analysis once I return.

  6. Meanwhile, we rent out the house in Eugene. Upon our return, L relocates to Santa Barbara

  7. We continue to work for 24 more years, then retire to Eugene.


Granted, it's a long term plan and you, loyal reader, can see that we've really put the most thought into these next 10 months. The important thing right now is that you all pay your damn taxes on April 15 because you, dear American reader, are footing the bill for this adventure. The Fulbright is a State Department program and while there is some private money involved, it really is all about creating opportunities for cross-cultural exchange. It's a good deal for me: a good chunk of my salary gets paid (UC is letting me take a leave of absence); I get book, housing, travel, and language tutoring allowances; and L and I get to spend 5 months at a major Chinese university that has yet to be announced.

As for Santa Barbara, life is tough. Last Thursday evening I rode along with a First Thursday bike parade. That was a great first day of work activity. Friday I visited the campus gym for the first time and returned to the Goleta Sushi House. Sadly, I forgot the business end of my headlight and had a rough, long ride home. Happily, without incident and with a full belly of sushi. Saturday was spent around the apartment, shopping, and acquainting myself with the new office Mac. Sunday saw a lovely Easter afternoon around town. Monday it was back to work and acquainting myself with the new office. There's a ton to learn and everyone seems pretty happy to have me there.

Yesterday was the big day, but even with all the excitement I followed through on my plan to attend the SB farmers' market for the first time. Oh my--what a different ecoregion I live in now. Multiple kinds of avocados and citrus. Ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, parsnips, carrots, and beans already. I guess this is all part of being in California. Lamb, eggs, cheese and butter too. I brought home herbed cultured butter, a loaf of bread, and pixie mandarins. Consumed onsite was a half pint of fresh squeezed blood orange juice.

To celebrate the announcement yesterday I followed up the market with dinner at the Wine Cask. As I was pathetically dining alone, each course was live-updated on Facebook, capped off with me Tweeting / Status-ing my news.

Now I really have to study my 汉语。 But first, check out this tree:

From SB beginnings

6 Comments:

  • At 10:22 PM , Blogger lesliem said...

    Wowzers, Jon! Congrats on the Fulbright! Live is certainly full of adventure these days. I have to say, if our farmers markets had all that wonderful fruit!... oh wait, when I go to Tanzania in two weeks, they will! mmmm. And please send a little more sunshine up here. It got all cold when you left.

     
  • At 7:25 AM , Blogger MTK said...

    All very good news, Jon. It's going to be a busy summer of planning and prep. for you and L.

    (alas, I'm not on FB anymore. Thanks for the late night v-message though). I'll try and call you this weekend.

    Yeah for Jon!!! I need to pay my taxes now.

     
  • At 8:11 AM , Anonymous Julie at the Cardinal said...

    Good update. I love L's comment about the mail slot. So low key - I would have been yelling into the phone!

     
  • At 7:13 PM , Blogger Da Boyz Mom said...

    You, my friend are SO Blessed yet so deserving and a bit lucky....I think the best part is that L. gets to go with and then right back to SB with you.

     
  • At 9:09 AM , Blogger Heather W. said...

    This is such exciting news! Congratulations again. You must be thrilled.

    Thanks also to the State Dept Chuck (and I) will soon be in DC and onward to parts unknown....

    Good luck with all your planning!

     
  • At 7:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Jon - you are so like a cat. Always landing on your feet and licking the cream off your whiskers!
    Congrats on the Fulbright!
    a phonetic Sy Chin!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home