Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

1.14.2005

Librarians, where art thou?

I think I complained about this a year ago, but when your library hosts a local author reading for the local bookstore from a book about your institution, you'd think at least a couple staff people would show up. There's plenty of people that hang out late for various reasons--you'd think a local author would be one of them.

But no, once again I was the only one. And I didn't wear my little tag this time.

Folks don't know what they're missing. Lotte Streisinger has written what sounds like a really nice book about the history of one of UO's most important research endeavors. Not only am I going to read it, I'm going to buy it. (and not just for the collection.)

3 Comments:

  • At 10:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    not just librarians... I organized a talk this week and none of my department bothered to turn up. The fact that it's the one visiting speaker funded and organized by the department all year (to my knowledge; they may be keeping others secret) doesn't help.

    Oh, and hi! (The other) Jon here. Thought your blog needed a comment or two. When you gonna come visit Vanky?

     
  • At 7:18 AM , Blogger Alan Cordle said...

    As a librarian married to a poet/professor, I can tell you that is very typical. English professors and librarians aren't interested in who's writing now -- just the dead folks.

     
  • At 2:49 PM , Blogger Deepfry said...

    i think they could do a better job advertising events happening at the library to library staff, personally. though i did see info about this one -- usually i don't hear about things.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home