Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

11.11.2007

Cosmic confluences

Let's take a break from our time-task inventory to talk about the weekend.

Friday night I did a little bit of that web surfing that the kids are all talking about. I checked in with a few blogs of friends and then, before turning in for the night, went through some old favorites. A hometown writer, who was recommended by Kramer, is still at it. As I have always enjoyed his recommendations, I usually take a close look at his blogroll. What did I see? A link to this China blog that AZK recommended a couple months before I left for China.

Now how does that happen? And how am I supposed to describe those degrees of separation? Is it a loop? Is it a directed-node graph with me being a double parent? Or am I a convergence point in this network?

All this is perhaps in mind because I've been playing around with Facebook a bit and saw a neat-o keen Flash application that puts all your friends in a circle and maps them to each other. I got pretty sucked in.

So I started this by saying I would talk about the weekend a bit. This afternoon we took a little walk in the Coast Range with the 新朋友 and guests from Seattle. In the car on the way up, I was asked "how do you spend your weekends?" I wound up talking about chores and studying and just a bit about gardening. How boring I am.

So tonight I decided to come out to the Goat (where I am right now) and do my studying. I plowed through about 50 pages of my fire ecology textbook, and an article that I have some serious questions about. And to top it all off and make me all multi-task-y, this counts as entertainment too! Because after about an hour they started re-arranging the furniture for a show. First act: a solo singer, violist, accordian player. Very nice. (And face painted!) Now we're finishing up the second act--who I think I've seen here before. Accoustic duo (I love the accoustic bass guitar) with a singer with a pleasantly scratchy voice. And both have been talking up the headliner (one more song to go!) from PDX.

So a few minutes ago I decided to switch from coffee to beer (because really, there's only so much coffee you can drink in a night) and stick around for a few more songs. And here's where the recreational part really kicks in: the Goat hasn't always had beer. So I'm perusing the list and OMFG: they've got Lakefront. WTF? So now dear reader, I am sharing with you yet another cosmic confluence of events: Eugene bands (complete with spinny dancing and a face-painted accordionist) and a fine Milwaukee beer. How do I find myself in these situations?

2 Comments:

  • At 6:05 PM , Blogger MTK said...

    Is this another one? .. or just you f**king around in China?

    http://www.growblog.com/

    Do you think that Jim actually drove the bear to Eugene in his crappy hatch back like he sometimes does for us flatlanders? If so you should take him out for sushi.

    Good to see you posting again ...

     
  • At 6:07 PM , Blogger MTK said...

    oh wait. This post was like ten days ago. Hey man, your slackin'!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home