Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

11.20.2007

Present spoiler

If you're Jake, don't read this before Friday.

Anyway, a little tear came to my eye last night when I went to Barnes & Noble to seek out birthday presents for my 10-year-old nephew. They don't really discriminate between children and young adult--they just have a section called 'Young Readers' that is labeled 8-12.

What got me all choked up is that prominently displayed was Lois Lawry's The Giver. I just read that about 2 years ago, and it's a fantastic book. My immediate inclination was to take it up to the desk and ask if it's really appropriate for a 10-year-old. They confirmed it's standard reading. And the Newbery prize stamp attests to the same. Granted, I'm not a daily part of Jake's life, so maybe this shouldn't come as such a surprise. But still--it's a serious book, and I haven't really thought of him as a serious reader yet.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The serious reader has been grounded from reading.....He has been caught one too many times trying to read by the light of the world globe night light in his room (15 watt bulb further blocked the the blue of the oceans.)

    He hasn't been on the blog as he has been busy getting all A's in school except for for 1 C that got him second honors....

    Younger Bro of course got All A's and B's cuz he is a brat.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home