Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

1.30.2005

Weekly update

I guess it's a weekly thing.

Anyway, I went 0 for 3 on the political/cultural events this week. Maybe I'm being too harsh--all of them were good, but they all disappointed in one way or another.


Guillermo Gomez-Pena
gave essentially the same performance I saw him give six years ago. Oh sure, there was the naked acupuncture, but that was essentially a performance that was going on while he did his own. There were a few changes to his monologues, but I would estimate 90% of it was word for word the same. That said, his words seem much more relevant today than they did six years ago, but maybe that just means I'm starting to realize how much more disastrous Bush is than Clinton.

Karl Kumpfmüller gave a lackluster talk in the Browsing Room earlier the same day. He made some interesting points, but there was no reason for it to take an hour--he could have made his points in about 15 minutes. (To be fair, I only made it about 20 minutes into the talk. Maybe he was just warming up?)

Finally, we stayed out way too late to see Seksu Roba on Monday night. Now, don't think I'm going to complain about their performance--I'm not. It was incredible. Unfortunately, it was only about 20 minutes long. The opening band, however, played for more than an hour and sucked. They were truly awful.

So that's what I get for trying to mix in pleasure during an extremely busy week. Hopefully this week's plans turn out better. They include a house mass and a library luminary. Show me the light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home