Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

2.05.2005

Under-educated?

I was struck by a comment recently. Someone mentioned that only 30 % of Oregon legislators have any college experience. I found this really hard to believe.

Today I glanced at the Oregon Blue Book and found that 11 of 30 Senators and 15 of 60 Representative list professions that REQUIRE college degrees--nurses, teachers, attorneys. So that's just about 30% right there. I would assume that at least some of the others have had at least a little bit of college. Even farmers go to ag school. Maybe I mis-interpreted what the person said.

The Blue Book did surprise me with another factoid. Oregon is supposed to have a part-time legislature, but a great many (I didn't count, but it stood out) of our legislators list 'legislator' as their profession. It's amazing how these people can work for just $15,000 per year. Are they independently wealthy or do they get food stamps?

1 Comments:

  • At 1:27 PM , Blogger Alan Cordle said...

    I think the key is they get a pretty reasonable per diem too. Not great, mind you, but good.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home