Growin' Blog

Gardenin', fishin', bikin', librarianin'. And migratin'

11.10.2005

The skinny

Nope, I don't see myself typing up those notes anytime soon. I'm just not that kind of blogger anymore.

But I do have some catching up to do dear diary and readers. You see, I have started graduate school once again. Yes, once wasn't enough. And besides: the first time around I didn't know about the blog thing, so it didn't really count. I couldn't really be introspective about it.

The inspiration for this sudden revelation about being in school after two months? A dissertation defense. Apparently, in some programs these things aren't really open to the whole department. Fortunately, we are all encouraged to attend ours. It's great, because otherwise it would be this mysterious black box, like a confessional booth, that people go into as graduate students and come out of as doctors.

In fact, there were two defenses this week. What a crazy, interesting process. And highly ritualistic. I'm sure the comparisons between Catholicism and academia have been made plenty of times before. Today's dissertation was about futbol, Barcelona, and place. I must write KP about this immediately.

As for my own program: it's very busy being a worker bee and a student. Next week is GIS Day, which I am helping to organize. After that, it will be a bit more relaxed. I will be able to concentrate on work and homework, and in general getting things done. Until then, it's rush rush rush.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home